www.flickr.com
items in FHFteam on Etsy More in FHFteam on Etsy pool

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Member Interrogations - Rachel Bishop

 Today's interview is with Rachel Bishop from Puffafish Lampwork. Keep reading to find out what inspires her, how she discovered glass, and why she'd like to spend some time in an old-fashioned police box....



1 - Your name: Rachel Bishop

2 - Your shop name and address: Puffafish Lampwork,  www.etsy.com/shop/puffafish

3 - Describe your artistic style in three words: bright, dotty, fun

4 - When did you first start working with glass and how did you get started?

I started working with glass in 2005, dabbling with fusing and making dichroic pendants in my little sc2 kiln.  During the Easter holidays 2007 I took a lesson with the fabulous Manda Muddimer and have been torching ever since, though not as much as I would like.


5 - What do you love most about your craft?

I love the mystery of the glass, the hope that you are filled with when the bead is placed in the kiln and the total joy you have when something you think is going to turn out pants is an absolute treasurewhen it comes out of the kiln. I also love the community that has formed around the shared love of glass and the willingness to share tips, glass recipes and the friends made.


 6 - If you could take a class with any artist (in your field or otherwise) who would you choose and why?

I was lucky enough to take a class with Carla di Francesca last year at Manda`s that gave me new found confidence in my own skills.  I would love to take a class with Lorna Prime, Laura Sparling and Mindy MacGregor to learn how to master their stringer precision.


7 - Do you have a favourite piece of your work that you can share with us?

These Souk beads are my favourite beads I have made simply because I had such a strong idea of what I wanted to make and they turned out perfectly matching my idea.





8 - Where do you find your inspiration?


My inspiration comes from all around me, I have the moody Bodmin Moor and Rough Tor to one side of me and the stunning but dramatic North Cornish coast on the other.  The weather, fabrics and even my mood on the day influences what I make.


9 - What’s your favourite technique within your medium?

My favourite technique is nothing really special but I really do working with glass that reacts with other glass and seeing the defined lines and marking formed through using them.


10 - Where do you create your work?

I have slowly been improving my working area in my studio (a-hem, garage) and now have a nice big space to work in giving my daughter an excuse to come out and melt glass too.


11 - Do you have a favourite colour scheme or range when you’re creating pieces?

I do tend to unintentionally lean towards using blues and greens when torching - it`s the pull of the sea!


12 - Can you give us a quotation/lyric/piece of advice that sums up your approach to life and your craft?

I find that if I think too hard about what I`m doing it usually goes wrong, so just go with the flow.


13 - The most serious question of all: if you could meet any fictional character, from TV film or literature, who would it be and why?

I would love to meet Dr Who and be his companion for a short while and go time travelling!


14 - Finally, what are your plans or hopes for your work in the future?

I just want to keep on making beads and take some more classes with some great teachers.  My goal for next year is to make it to the Flame Off too as I haven`t been yet.


---

Thanks Rachel for a fab interview! 

No comments: